Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

I am wondering about maple sap this year.

With the warm weather we have been having I am a little worried about what effect this will have on this years maple syrup production . We had such a wonderful amount last year , we actually haven't used all of ours up and trust me we gave a ton away and still have some left. We will have to do some research and see what old records show regarding such a warm winter. It has been wonderful for our wood pile, not using as much as we normally would that is for sure. Wonder if any of you are aware that during the time period we are covering that along with Maple syrup ,birch syrup was also used. It was slightly bitter in taste and from what I have researched took a lot more sap to produce a reasonable amount..We will have to try this and let you know.
My kitchen this evening smells of apple sauce,Ken picked up some beautiful apples at a place close to Ayr for a really good price so I am making them into apple sauce. One thing about having a wood stove, you can slow cook many things at a time . When I visit my daughters house I have a hard time figuring out where to put things on her stove because in order to have heat and to cook things you have only 4 places you can put a pot...on mine you can put pots everywhere, and still have room for the kettle in case you want hot tea. Oh and the wax pot sits on my stove all the time to dip candles whenever the mood hits us. I am enjoying Mrs Beeton's book of household management ,it is a wonderful resource. Gives me a good window into the time period. Especially around food and dining. I was greatly surprised when looking at the baking section , she describes cake making and decorating and lo and behold there are pictures of a cake being decorated using icing in a parchment or grease paper using piping tubes,,,what we now call piping tips.  Well I had better go stir my sauce and give it a taste test...by for now
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!