Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Getting lots done outside

I am absolutely in love with this weather. I was in the herb garden today and wow the chives are about 5 inches high already. It was lovely to work in my herb garden and afterwards still smell the sage on my clothing ...every once in a while I got a whiff of it . Confused me until I remembered .
The chickens gather around where ever I am weeding or scratching around upcoming plants..Just in case . Geez they are funny.
They have also wiggled nests in the dirt and Sunday we found 2 eggs in one of these dirt nests. Odd little creatures.
I can see the spinach just popping up in the hot box that the boys and I made last week. So it is certainly working . I planted another row of spinach in the front garden.So I will have lots hopefully.
The trees here are budding and there is a tinge of yellow in my decorative bushes . I wonder if spring will stay. Would be fantastic to get an early start and be able to continue on all season .Especially after last years garden troubles. The apple and other fruit trees are in bud , I did not trim them this year but they look fine . We super trimmed the pear and cherry trees last year . We always get a healthy crop from the pears,,,not so much the cherries. Just as you think they are getting nice and ready, in swoops the birds and all that is left is stained poop.Just to prove they indeed have been there and why.
So that is how I spent most of my day today. Did I say I love this weather?
Until next time
M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!