Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

It is no wonder May has always been a celebrated month

One hears of spring celebrations.; But nothing says spring/summer like the month of May. It is really no wonder there were/are so many celebrations in May. The birds are happily celebrating the birth of their young and everywhere you look new life is forming
The gardens are full of new  life , especially the vegetable gardens,I cannot believe how everything seems to have sprung up. We have had a bit of rain and wow . To date I have peas that are starting to flower, I have garlic that is at least 4 inches tall.Lettuce that we will start to eat this week,spinach that is also ready to start to appear on the table. My onions are showing nicely as our my potatoes. We have had treats made of rhubarb twice now and I think rhubarb jam is in order.I have extra maple syrup to sweeten with.My greenhouse is full of tomatoes,squash,turnip,cauliflower,broccoli, brussel sprouts and other goodies just waiting to be planted outside.
I watched a raccoon moving her babies this morning ,one at a time she scampered past with a little one in her mouth. Hope they are happy with their new home .I am sure in no time they will be driving us crazy.As cute as raccoons are they surely can be a pain .
Out front the area we have designated for our future horse is growing nicely and will look rather wild soon I am sure.I went today to have a look at a pair of absolutely beautiful cutters.Wow they are lovely.The family that owns them were very friendly and has much information for me about what is available in this area. So I kind of gave them a wish list . Sounds like with their connections they can point us in the best direction for livestock and such . Very lovely family.
The more I meet people and describe what we are doing the more I am encouraged .People no longer stare at us with odd expressions.Or offer us a free tv. I think people are beginning to realise the importance of real food , and less corporate dependence and this make me for one very encouraged.While I know that not many will adopt our lifestyle I do know many people are relearning to do small things such as preserving and growing at least some of their own food.
So this is my thoughts for today at least,I will get back to you soon. For now I am enjoying the magic that is May and loving the beautiful sound of all of the birds ..they seem so very happy.
Talk to you soon
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!