Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

This week and laundry

I can certainly understand why the invention of modern washing equipment was so liberating to women of the 19th century. My week has been all about laundry and when and if the weather would cooperate and let me finally finish. But oh how lovely it is to be hanging clothes, listening to the birds,smelling the outside ...and hoping the rain holds off for a while. Not the first time I have hung laundry but for some reason this past couple of weeks it has meant something more to me ..I think we have lost this art of appreciating what we do for each other. Of understanding weather, of smelling our world. I can say our world inside smells like wood smoke and cooking and outside ...well it smells like it should , breezy, flowery, fresh, sometimes earthy but always real and good...I thoroughly enjoyed my week this week...regardless of the mountain of laundry and the threat of rain.

Ken here, I have been treated to a thoroughly Victorian meal, complete with a botanical theme. At least 15 different plants graced the table (if not more) and a fine array of sweet and savoury delights in a room lit by close to 30 candles. We went for a stroll after supper and the light from the dining room was warm and homey as any I've ever seen. My wife Margaret certainly makes the atmosphere as close to Victorian as can be. Well done I say.

We are toying with idea of having guests in our home over Christmas weekend for a true Victorian experience. We are looking for feedback and welcome your comments in this regard. Whom ever spends the Christmas weekend with us will need to be in full Victorian garb and need to want to experience the Victorian Age in total. This means park your car at the back of the driveway, lock your cell phones, laptops and all other modern electronic gizmos in the trunk and be ready to talk about the events of Upper Canada in 1865, ie: the debate about Confederation, the happenings in Toronto, London and England. The Queen and her mourning status after the death of Albert. In other words, no hockey, no TV, nothing from the 20th or 21st century shall be discussed. Our guests should read up and research Victorian parlour games of 1865 Upper Canada.

What does everyone think? We welcome your comments.

My husband mentioned our botanical supper ...The Victorians took great care in their meals and how they were presented.Food was real and beautifully presented.Meal time was formal by todays standards ...but it was relaxed, unhurried, and real. This is a wonderful time of the year for mealtimes as we have fresh everything coming up in the gardens. Fresh greens were eaten at every meal, I am sure savored especially because of the knowledge that they would not have access to these fresh delights all winter long. We have lost the joy of seasonal eating, of dandilion salads very early in the spring before the leaves turn bitter, of making the flowers into wine or jelly to last the rest of the year...of beer as we have so recently discovered. We have forgotten the smells and the bursts of flavor of our first strawberries,raspberries and gooseberries...with todays all year round tastless wooden fruits we have forgotten these joys and the need to savor them to their fullest before they are gone for another year..And I think many of us have forgotten the art of really planning and putting by for what we will need in the future and especially for the long winter...This year is really reminding us of these gifts !!
See you soon...

6 comments:

  1. Wow Margaret - I haven't hung out laundry for years - not since it got wrapped around the line wet and then froze there, causing me to swear off hanging out. Have to say though that my mother never used a washing machine or dryer in her entire life (1913-1990), all she ever had or wanted was an 'extractor' for spinning towels as dry as poss. By extension, I didn't use machines either until I came to Canada at age 21.

    Ken, I love your Victorian Christmas idea. I am tempted to ask you to consider me on your guest list but I don't know at this point what plans my family have/will have. I do have one rather summery Victorianish dress but I know that won't cut it.
    Love to read of your Victorian lifestyle
    Best, Wendy (not anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob and I would love to included on your Victorian Christmas guest list, if you decide to do this. If we start now, we can "bone up" on the news of the day of 1865.

    I wanted to ask you too if you read the Farmers Almanac? It was a household "read of the day" and guide for farmers of the era.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of us hang laundry, especially as hydro gets more expensive, so I'd be more interested to hear about the laundry side of it. Are you lucky enough to have better than just a wash tub? A mangle for sheets? Are you just using bar soap, or have you already dipped into all those wonderful household manuals for exciting cleaning tips? Mind you, I don't suppose you've been going so long to get really dirty...(Not that it takes Ken long some days!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great the christmas thing, I think spending a weekend with both of you would be great. I am surprized by all the people who don't hang laudry. wow.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've started posting a few recipes and such at my historic food blog for you. Random snippets from some of my historical cookery and household books. (Gives me a topic to post, as well!)
    http://www.dagdascauldron.blogspot.com

    v

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a very interesting project--I look forward to seeing how it unfolds.

    It would be cool if you could show us pictures, or give us more detail about the specific Victorian experiences that you are recreating--for example, how are you doing the laundry/other chores, or what period recipes you are using.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!