Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

August has begun...time to think of fall

I am at the library for a while today. Just said Good - bye to my lovely husband as he goes away for "another" 2  days for work. I am missing him already .
Have been busy preserving for the winter months and soon our gardens will be giving us the gifts that we will use for the winter and spring. We are hoping to have a large harvest and from the looks of things we will. Especially squash. I think I may have goon a bit overboard witht he squash planting. But they do last well and will almost certainly get us through the winter. Our potatoes are doing well and I am going to perhaps dig a plant and see where we are as far as size. I have preserved a ton of raspberry jam and if my Grandson Aidan does not eat it all it might last through. The blueberry jam is down and I am making chutneys this week. I am being blessd with a copy of Mrs Beeton's book of household management, an origional copy rebound. Ken has seen it and held it in his hands, I have not and can hardly wait to see it. I have over the years referred to it only on line and it is fantastic. But to own a real copy wow...I can hardly wait.(oops did I say that already?)
I am sure I will be busy in the next few weeks as everything will be coming out of the garden at once as it is want to do. the tomatoes ae ripening and will be turned into stewed tomatoes. Good for soup and wonderful to poach eggs in for our breakfast.
 I have planted a ton of plum tomatoes for tomato paste and sauces for pasta too. So I am sure to be busy Ken will be busy expanding our chicken coop. Our growing family of chickens needs more room . And with the arrival of our quails we will need extra housing . We are a little concerned as we have 4 roosters and they are quite active, which I think is a bit stressful for our hens. So if anyone wants a beautiful bard rock rooster please let us know . Not for the stock pot though. I will close for now as the computer here is telling me my time is almost up..Oh I have forgotten to mention that our home will be used for a short film set in the Victorian era. So that will be exciting.
For now I will say good bye and I may add to this later .
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!