Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Week of Chores

Greetings, Ken here, suffering through a miserably hot day in Upper Canada. I have the week off, and that means catching up on all the chores and jobs that were supposed to be done in the spring. That's right ... spring tasks in July! The spring monsoon we had this year co-incided with time off I had booked to get things done before the heat of summer. A good idea if the weather co-operates!

That being said, I have a list of tasks to complete before I head back to work and I am only slightly behind. Todays task was to make screens for the kitchen windows. Cat proof screens I might add and I was able to complete one of them. I find the first time I do a particular thing it always takes longer than subsequent efforts. I hope to finish the other screen tomorrow as well as tomorrows scheduled clean up job. Thursday's task is a new roof on the chicken run and Friday's task is picking berries and other odd jobs.
The lawn growth has slowed down considerably, but we did get a large amount of grass for bedding the birds and for the gardens. I suspect I'll have to cut the grass this week and then not again for two weeks unless we get some serious rain.

Rain, we need it desperately. There are cracks in the soil a foot and a half deep (45 cm for the younger crowd) There's a lot of clay in the soil around here and it really shows in the dry weather.

Despite the lack of rain, the gardens are doing well as are our fruit trees. The birds got all the cherries again this year but we should have a good crop of pears.

Margaret has been slaving away in the kitchen, making raspberry jam and mango chutney. The heat has been even worse in the kitchen, another reason I want to get the screens done so there's air movement in the kitchen.

That's all for now. Stay cool if you can.
Thanks, Margaret & Ken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!