Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

The major work is done on the greenhouse.

Greetings all.

It seems the only thing I post about lately is the greenhouse. I am glad to say that all the major work is done. The roof is on, the windows installed and the door hung. I am in the minor task portion of the job now, it took me a week longer than I had hoped but the result is quite pleasing to the eye and will be quite sharp looking when we paint it up. Margaret will have lots of room for starting plants for the growing season.

I'm going to occupy myself small jobs next week, some clean up, grass cutting, weed whacking etc.. I'm also going to set up for the next major project which is the storage shed on the shop. I'm hoping it won't take me as long to do as the green house.

I should mention that I used electric power tools for a total of 15 cuts all told. Every other cut, all of the screws were done with hand tools alone. This is one reason it took me longer to finish the job. Every cut took three to five seconds longer, every screw nail took five to eight seconds longer so over the course of the job it added up to about an hour all told. In addition to this, There were some tasks which I had never done before so I had to figure them out in my head before I attempted them. These new tasks were framing for roof valleys and in the end, my solution was pretty much what every other carpenter has done. The solution was simple, elegant and once I figured it out, easy to do.

I would love to add pictures for all top see, but I'm something of a computer Luddite and our camera has bit the dust as well. As  soon as I get the picture thing figured out I'll post some.

This has been an exercise in Victorian tool usage and time management. I have noticed that I'm not as tired from the work as well, probably due to the lack of electrical tool noise (and they are noisy for sure). I noticed I could think ahead better about the job because of the lack of noise. The draw back here is the job took longer to complete. However, I do think the Victorian way of working suits me down to the ground. This is somewhat ironic given that I currently work in a nuclear power plant.

Until next time, take care.

Ken and Margaret

1 comment:

  1. Hi There, I just spent a little time reading through your posts, which I found entirely by mistake whilst researching one of my projects. Please continue to write more because it’s unusual that someone has something interesting to say about this. Will be waiting for more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!