Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dishes by Hand

Hi, It's official, the automatic dishwasher is gone, jury rigged pipes patched up, cut-off or otherwise dealt with. Electrical dealt with as well. Who ever put the machine in sure didn't know the electrical code very well and that's all I'm going to say. We haven't used the machine since last May on our wedding so I don't think we'll miss it.

New shelves installed in the space left by the machine, and they look pretty good. A fairly decent match for the cabinetry that's already installed. Now Margaret  will have space to put all the very large pots and this will help keep the kitchen neater.

Speaking of neater, the closer we get to being ready for V-Day, the more I notice just how much stuff we have in the house that we won't be using. It is quite likely that we will never use some of it again and I don't think we'll miss it either.

Got another load of wood today, this will be a fairly regular task, since wood will be the fuel of choice for cooking, heating water and heating the house. I intend to keep a log of wood consumption throughout the year. I think the final tally will be something of an eyebrow raiser.

I suspect that I will be much better with an axe, hammer and wedges by next spring than I am now. I pretty good now, but will be at least at a journeyman level by next spring. The same will be true of many other tasks which I can do but not well or efficiently. I suspect efficiency will be a major consideration in everything we do, espacially when it comes to heavy manual labour.

Hopefully I'll be in much better shape next spring with all the manual labour. At the very least I'll be able to document all the common aches and pains which trouble me throughout the year and what we did to mitigate them.

That's all for now, thanks.
Ken

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of dishes... Do you already make handmade soap? Will you start? Or was that something that could be purchased as a non-luxury commodity, and did some people not make their own? (I see I'm going to have to rummage back through all my memories of Black Creek and the Log Farm and Owen Sound Pioneer Museum...)
    v

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and may I suggest, Ken, that you refrain from ever getting as dirty as you did last summer, or the little woman will tak' a scunner to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!