Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Weather

Hi. I've been watching the weather and I'm not impressed at all! Too much rain and we have the gardens about half planted. I hope the stuff that's in the ground doesn't rot. It needs to warm up as well in order for things to get growing.

Another area for experiment: The Lawn: currently we have a lawn tractor to keep the grass in check. In 1865 there were two ways to do this, grazing animals and a scythe. We don't have grazers yet (thinking about sheep and a goat) and I think Thanatos has borrowed my scythe :-) so for now, we'll use the lawn tractor to cut the grass. The up side of this is we can use the grass for bedding the chickens down. ^The down side is, I have to hand rake it, gather it up and pile it. This time last year I had raked and loaded seven trailer loads (2X4X8)  and it made for quite a large pile. I'm hoping to get a hay mau built so the grass will dry out and make better bedding. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks, Ken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!