Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day number 2

Greetings everyone . I am at the library in London waiting to visit with one of my seniors.So I have until 1 ish. I certainly understand the need for a summer kitchen, with the weather being so lovely and warm  the heat from the cook stove is making my kitchen balmy for sure. We will have to hook up the summer kitchen wood stove soon. Other than that things are chugging along as normal....that is if you consider candle light and the smell of wood burning normal. The house is lovely and quiet. Amazing how much noise polution our homes produce. I am happy with this weather, I will be able to hang laundry without it blowing away or getting muddy. Thank you thank you !!
Our world is kind of revolving around wood for the time being.It is so important for every day living to have a good dry supply. And plenty of small stuff to not only start the stove but to also bring the oven up to temp. If banked at night well, plus a log or 2 thrown in during the night, I have good coals to start with in the morning . Without having to get up at the "crack of holy early". I am experimenting with summer teas steeped in the sun...I will let you know how that goes. I have had it with mint and it is generally lovely. When I lived in the South they used to have steeped tea with crushed mint and a shot of bourbon...hmmm ....The gardens are exploding and everything is up and growing well. Event the potatoes are showing themselves . So hopefully it will be a good year. I put in a couple of watermelon plants and I see someone has decided they are a good salad so I will have to re seed that part of the bed and perhaps cover them with a  jar to protect them from little munchers. I had better run and will talk to you soon. Probably tomorrow as I am in London to attend my Rotary meeting in the evening . see you soon.

2 comments:

  1. Off and running, congratulations Margaret and Ken. I meant to wish you well on the 28th for the 29th but I gapped. I am so looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

    I have to choose a 'profile' and none of them fit except anonymous - but I don't want to be anonymous
    Wendy Maurice

    ReplyDelete
  2. The summer teas steeped in the sun sounds so divine and add to your tranquil settings. Can hardly wait to come see you two for a visit soon! Have letters written by my fathers family members during this time period of 1865 I hope to show you. They speak so much of what people where doing... Hmm 1865... two years before confederation! Such an exciting time to be.
    Love to you both

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!