Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cleaning cleaning cleaning!!!

Seems to me that from the beginning of this journey my time cleaning has ever increased. The house seems increasingly dirty and dusty.I am blaming most of this on the increased use of the wood cook stove and now the wood furnace. But wow oh wow I never seem to get caught up. I would imagine that this was a constant problem during the time period we are emulating. It explains the need for help for sure. Now in all fairness I work full time and travel to Guelph most often 2 days a week where I stay over, because  I am launching my consulting business. I also have a Rotary  meeting on wednesday evenings so I am not home all of the time. But clearly there does not seem to be enough daylight hours in the day. Which is another interesting part of this . Most of the work needs to be done during daylight hours as candle light is not enough to really get at the fine work.With the winter coming and daylight decreasing I am finding my days are cut shorter. Which cuts my good working time down a bit. I am also finding that I am tired earlier and we head for bed alot earlier than we used to . I knew there would be differences between the summer and the winter but the differences are indeed quite noticable.
Am I complaining...not really. Just have noticed that my work seems to have increased or the dirt has. I guess I am getting a better understanding of what life was truely like in 1865. Without help ....
Would I trade the lovley heat of the wood furnace or the taste of our food cooked on the wood stove ...no way.
Nor would I trade the quietness of our home or the time we spend just enjoying each other
M

Ken here, stripped the parlour walls of wall paper. It was the easiest removal of wallpaper I've experienced. All down in 30 minutes, clean-up and patching took about 1 & 1/2 hours. A little sanding tomorrow and the walls will be ready to paper again. We're looking for a Victorian style paper if we can get it. Should spruce up the parlour quite nicely I should think.

Margaret mentioned there seems to be more cleaning and less light and time to do it all. The same can be said of the furnace and the wood stove. I seem to be spending a great deals of time moving wood about. Either it's going into the furnace or the stove, I'm pilin it up outside or I'm throwing it down the outside stairs and then piling it in the furnace room. It keeps me warm several times over and also makes my muscles sore as well. There's always something to be done, if'n you don't to it today, it'll cheerfully wait for you to do tomorrow. It keeps me off the streets and out of mischief I guess.

That's all from me, take care and have a good week.

K

1 comment:

  1. rule of thumb for firewood: must have two weeks worth stored inside at all times...in case the weather turns unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!