Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

New beginnings

It feels like a dull day here at the farm. The chickens are happy to be running around in the yard picking away at who knows what...but they seem happy doing it. The are chattering away at everyone including the cats, it is a funny thing to watch  as a chicken runs up to a cat chatters away then runs away....it is no wonder that Miss Potter was inspired by her farm animals..they are most entertaining.
The end of the year 2011 is nearing and there is lot's to do before the day and year is over . I am tired today,  we have been sick all week. Started Christmas weekend , Aidan our Grandson was sick and I guess I caught it from him. Monday I could barely function but still managed to prepare meals for my seniors. Being self employed has many advantages with the exception of paid sick days...if you have them I hope you truly appreciate them...just saying.
I have been up since abound 6, got the fires going again . I made bread and the loaves are now sitting for their final proof while the wood cook stove is getting  hot and up to temperature. I brought in some more wood and did some outside wood sorting. We have literally a mountain of wood out there .Unfortunately alot of it is wet.
I have also been cleaning all day. Being the good Victorian that I am it is traditional to have a perfectly clean home to bring in the new year. So that is what I am busy doing today, hopefully I will get it all done. Including sweeping the only carpet in the house ,which is in the dining room,A lovely Asian rug. It has been swept clean and hopefully will stay that way until I can pull it out for spring cleaning and give it a good wash outside. I have polished all of the silver and it is happily in the cabinet awaiting our next dinner party. I think a good goal would be to have a dinner party before I need to re polish the silver...Don't you think?
Just  so you all know I am writing this throughout the day. So if it reads like I have just gotten a new thought , you are correct. I am trying to remember all of the things I wanted to tell you before the day and ultimately the year is out...
The bread was wonderful...
We have accomplished much this year. Especially with this project. While we do have some things we cannot unhook from the hydro grid ,they are few. Especially the blower for the furnace, we have no idea how that could be eliminated . We still have 1 electric light bulb in the basement . Which we use when we go down to fill the furnace. The stairs are original and steep,quite dangerous in fact so 2 hands are needed to go down. So it is one area I will not take a chance on. And it is only 1 small bulb. I figure if I fell down those stairs especially if Ken is away no one would find me for days. So I think it is better to be safe.
All of our rooms have excellent light with our candles and candle wall sconces. We are kept fed and warm with our wonderful kitchen wood stove and our wood furnace . We have jars and jars of preserves to help us through the winter. We have plenty of books and projects to keep us busy when we have time to relax with a book or sewing. We have scrabble to keep us challenged .We  have each other , walking in the same direction. Excitedly discussing our upcoming plans . We have our friends who are lovingly following us on this journey,giving us advise, asking us questions, and challenging us to try different idea. To this we feel blessed , and we Thank you ...
Happy New Years everyone !!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. If you like scrabble, you may like boggle, though I may suspect your keeping the entertainment to period times as well? Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of boggle, will have to look it up..thanks
    We are kind of trying to keep the entertainment period as much as we can. But not strictly..Thank you we are feeling better. Now it is really cold outside I am hoping our colds do not return..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!