Welcome to A Victorian Year in Ontario

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, the year is 1865, Her Majesty Queen Victoria has reigned since 1837 and we are in the midst of a prosperous era. The purpose of this blog is to record the daily round of chores, tasks, trials and triumphs of our household in rural Upper Canada (now known as Ontario). We have embarked on an experiment to live a year as close to the way it was done in 1865 as we possibly can. We will post our remarks and await your comments, suggestions and critiques. So join us as we travel back in time.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

The house is warm and quiet.

The week is almost over , will be nice to have a couple of days off. The house is especially quiet tonight. My lovely boy is away at work and will not be home until tomorrow.Good thing the house is nice and warm. I spent the day baking and preparing Christmas cookie and sweet trays for my seniors. Putting the parlour back together and washing clothes. I have literally hundreds of cookies.
I made sugar candy also,which the kid's will love I am sure.
The chicken's are loving this weather , and are happy to be out roaming around . Fantastic for this date of the year.But the yard is a mud hole near the coop . I have never seen it so muddy. I believe we have a rat in the chicken coop. Seems to have chewed a hole conveniently right near the feeder.. I put something heavy over the hole until Ken gets home...hopefully the little bugger bangs his head . He seems to be just after the grain because the eggs are all still in tact. Our newest chickens are starting to lay and we have lovely peewee eggs arriving daily,in a beautiful green colour. We call these Zoe eggs as they are just small enough to grace a little girls breakfast table.
I was thinking today that we have been doing this project now for over 6 months, these have been the easier months , the harder ones might be coming, although I think we are coping well. Wish we could do this full time . I have had  many people refer to a TV show called Victorian Farm. We watched a  few episodes and it was a very cool project and a very successful TV program. Which I am sure was the whole idea.
My Grandson Aidan loves the program. But also points out they have lots of help and a good financial backer in order to do what they are doing...smart boy.
We will head back to Guelph Christmas eve,in order to watch little ones open their packages on Christmas morning . So I would like to take the time to wish all of you a Very Happy Christmas!!
I will let you know how our Christmas Crackers did ...Jude was very pleased to have made them with me .
M

1 comment:

  1. I fully assumed you were retired to have taken up this project. I'll have to look on Netflix when I get the chance and see what the name of the program we had watched was called. Merry Christmas to you as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feed back . If you have anything you would like us to add please ask. Again Thank you !!!